COMMON FAFSA MISTAKES
1. NOT USING THE CORRECT WEBSITE – The official FAFSA website is fafsa.gov. Never pay to complete the FAFSA!
2. NOT GETTING AN FSAID AHEAD OF TIME – Create your FSA ID early to avoid any delays.
3. WAITING TO FILL OUT THE FAFSA – Some financial aid is awarded on a first-come,first-served basis so get it done ASAP!
4. NOT USING YOUR FSAID TO START THE FAFSA – Sign in the FAFSA with your FSA ID to prevent common errors and for easier electronic signing.
5. INPUTTING INCORRECT INFORMATION – Be sure to enter your full name as it appears on your Social Security card and triple check your SSN.
6. NOT REPORTING PARENT INFORMATION – Dependency guidelines are determined by Congress, not IRS. Answer all questions on FAFSA carefully.
7. LISTING ONLY ONE COLLEGE – List all colleges you are considering even if you haven’t applied or been accepted yet.
8. NOT SIGNING THE FAFSA – An unsigned FAFSA is incomplete. Sign electronically with your FSA ID which is faster than mailing a signature page.